Wednesday, April 6, 2011

An Addendum

A scene in the movie, “V for Vendetta,” inspired this idea. I call it English Breakfast – Un-English-ized. Apparently, the English take white Bread, and fry it in lard, with an egg on top. In order for it to work, you’d have to pretty much smother the thing in saturated fats. But then again, the English consider fat a spice, so…
Here’s what I did. Put about 2 Tbsp. of soy butter on the pre-heated grille, or in a skillet. Take 2 slices of Food For Life Brand Ezekiel 4.9 flourless multi-grain, and toast one side in the sizzling butter.

On the back of the grille, or in another skillet, fry 2 cage free, happy chicken eggs. After about 3 minutes, turn the bread slices over. You might have to add just a touch more butter. Remember, the goal is to make the toast crunchy and delicious, while still keeping the thing non-toxic. Now, just quickly turn the eggs, and flop them – 1 each – onto the sizzling hot toast. Serve open face.

Serving size: 1 sandwich (1 of 2, following above recipe.)
Calories: 250
Fat: 21 grams
Carbohydrates (total): 14 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Two hundred and fifty calories would easily allow two sandwiches to fit into a diet of 1500 – 2000 Kcal. Carbohydrates come from the Ezekiel bread, and are mostly fiber. 0.25 g/Kcal protein means that the calories in this food are about 25% full.

***

As mentioned this week on the FaceBook page, I read an article linking hyperglycemia and Diabetes to the use of statin drugs. Now, doctors regularly prescribe statins to lower serum cholesterol - even more so, in the case of Diabetics. Most doctors want Diabetic LDL to be at about 70, due to increased risk of arterial disease in Diabetic patients. They may in fact, be prescribing the very drug that is making it difficult for them to control the Diabetes. Ok. I promised you the link, and here it is. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/28/the-stealth-drug-cause-of-diabetes.aspx

I’ve been going toe to toe with my endocrinologist – although I love the dude – over statin use for a couple of years now, but for different reasons. They severely impact leg muscles, and what kind of fighter / runner has weak legs? Anyway, you don’t need them. You can control cholesterol yourself, without drugs.

Oh, by the way. While you’re at the FaceBook link, as the Yidisshe-mama in me would say, so would it kill you to maybe click “Like?”

***

Jack says hi. He really hopes you enjoyed his column this month. Jack ponders many deep questions in life, but most recently, he’s concerned about why – every week – we take all our best stuff and put it on the sidewalk, for men in big trucks to bring home to their dogs.

***

I’m trying to do this for a job. I want to provide my readers with a high quality and helpful resource, and at the same time create an income for myself. I put in much more than 40 hours per week, as it is. So, yes. I need the contribution money, and yes, I’m using it as a personal piggy bank.

Please understand, if a person has a job, they get paid. They use the money to pay things like rent and credit card bills. That’s all I’m doing. I’m trying to get paid for doing a job. Until this thing becomes self-supporting, which is the business plan, I need your help.

Please, please, go to the contrib. Page and consider giving whatever you can. If everybody who reads this magazine could throw in just 5 bucks, I’d be out of the hot water, and the wolf would be gone from the door.
If you just plain don’t have anything at all to give, please, go to the blog site and click on one of the ads. You don’t have to buy anything, just click on an ad or two. You’ll be helping me, and above all, you’ll be helping Jack.



Weight Loss Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Hey, if you want to read this in it's neat magazine formatting, go to http://www.scribd.com/doc/52426434

There's a bunch of really cool embedded links in that version.

No comments:

Post a Comment