Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another Way I Need your Help

In 1984, I attended a birthday celebration for Jack LaLanne. He had just turned 70, and was performing a demonstration at Government Center in Boston. I watched that old man pull a tractor-trailer combo – with his teeth. I don’t know that I’ll be able to do anything like that, when I reach that milestone age, but I do know that I won’t be living on a mobility scooter, and eating through a tube.

The “Hawg” Lived in Quincy, Massachusetts. Every morning, he’d encase his ankles in good old-fashioned bald headed women – the obsolete term applied to the ball and chain, as worn by prisoners on work gangs. He’d wear them all day. Once, some constables came to his house to serve him with a court order. The Hawg was preparing to do the engine overhaul on an old Caddie, at the time, and had just finished disconnecting the motor mounts. As the men approached, the Hawg grabbed that 600 cubic inch big block – V8, picked it up in his massive arms, pulled it into his barrel-like chest, and dropped it at the constables’ feet. Wordlessly, they got back into their car and left. He had just turned 60.

I once knew a man who was so fat – a moving crew was hired to move all his possessions and furniture down to the first floor of his home, because he could no longer climb his own stairs. That man is dead now, and we all suffer at the loss, because he was a warm and generous Human being. Or there’s the one about the cab driver I knew, who had to have his cabs modified with truck shocks, because he was so heavy, the standard suspension systems couldn’t support his weight.

I was slogging away on the treadmill, at my old gym. I was maybe 2 or 3 months, post-diagnosis. From the window, I could see a huge man, lumbering through the parking lot, on crutches. As he approached, I noticed that one of his feet had been amputated, and I knew immediately – Diabetes. As I upped the speed on the belt, I heard a voice in my head that said, there’s your future. That’s you in 5 years.

Gratefully, I never got quite that big, but what’s it like to be 400 pounds? How does the world feel to those people? I can tell you how it feels at 205. I can tell you what 30% body fat feels like, to haul around. Yes, I have a story to tell.

And, that’s what Nµ30 Magazine is all about. My goal – my mission – with this magazine is to help people. To provide those who need information, with the most comprehensive, most up to date, most unbiased and highest quality information available. But, Nµ30 is also about community. It’s about all of us helping each other.

I have a story to tell, yes, but what about you? Most of the people I’m in contact with are writers, and all of us have something to say. I want to hear from you. I want to know your stories – your successes and your failures. I would like to extend the invitation to writers who are struggling with health and fitness issues, and writers who have overcome these obstacles, to help me create this valuable resource.
While I can’t yet offer financial remuneration, I can offer you an opportunity to get your work seen by people who really want to hear what you have to say, and an opportunity to help those in need.
Please – submit your stories, articles, op-eds and research pieces to Nµ30 magazine by emailing

new30magazine@gmail.com
.
The Magazine comes out monthly, on the 1st of each month. Articles need to be submitted by the 15th, for inclusion in the following month’s issue. Please submit via Word, in .doc format. Although I only have room for one article per month, I promise to read them all
.
So, be a guest columnist in Nµ30 Magazine. Support others, receive support from them, and help launch the first true quality magazine devoted to athleticism, eating right and living better – in midlife.
You can see the latest versions and updates at

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49813702/N%C2%B530-Premier

And don’t forget to “Like” us up at

http://www.facebook.com/pages/N%C2%B530/201793856513929?sk=wall

I really need you to actually click on this link, and "Like" the page, itself. Clicking "Like" on the posts doesn't appear to translate through.

Also, please keep sharing us out. All of us have friends and relatives that are struggling with weight problems and/or Diabetes. You can help them, and me, by simply sharing this note, or the links for the magazine and its pages.

The Yahoo groups and a YouTube Branded Channel are in the works, and should be ready in a day or so.
Nµ30 – where 50 is the new 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment