Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nµ30 Magazine

I’m happy. All day, every day, I’m elated. You see – I used to be a Type II Diabetic. I’m not anymore. I can say that honestly. Even my endocrinologist agrees, and he thinks that’s impossible. The fact remains, however, that my A-1cs – with no medication – have been consistent at 4.5 for the past two years.

I’m not managing my Diabetes; I’ve cured my Diabetes. No hype, no Tibetan miracle cures, no magic. I did it through hard work, hard science and some simple, good old-fashioned logic.

I did it with the help and encouragement of my doctors, not in spite of them. Neither of them, however, held out much hope for my success.

I did it with my parents’ generous financial help and emotional support. I did it with the constant driving push of my two personal trainers. I did it by exploring alternatives in both medicine and lifestyle.
And… sadly, I did it by ignoring the ADA and all the dieticians and “web-doctors” who constantly gave me information that seemed to make no sense.

My wife came home, one afternoon, beaming with pride in having purchased the latest ADA cookbook. I started looking through it. Nothing in this book appeared extremely low carbohydrate to me. In fact, they actually had recipes that called for sugar – good old fashioned, white, processed, table sugar! Oh, we fought like two wet cats in a sack, Maureen and I. She wanted me to follow the advice of the “experts,” but something inside me just kept telling me that they were wrong. How can you fight Diabetes by eating sugar? It just doesn’t make any sense.

In fact, the ADA appeared to be more concerned about salt! Oh yeah, right. I just spent 10 and ½ hours in the Emergency room, because I had too much salt in my blood. That must be why they had to give me all that saline.

Here I was, thirsty all the time, and the one element that would allow my body to process and store water, is contra-indicated by the community dedicated to helping me manage my disease.  Meanwhile, the single organic toxin that was turning my kidneys into charcoal, and my hemoglobin into sludge was considered part of a recommended diet.

I was told to exercise. I laugh when I think about it. They told me to go walk around a mall. That’s what they said. Walk around a mall? If that’s exercise, why do I see so many blobs of excess flesh, waddling around in malls?

70% of Americans are overweight. 40% of us are actually morbidly obese. 26 million people in this country have Type II Diabetes. What used to be called “adult onset,” is now commonly diagnosed in 11 year-olds.
I sat in the waiting room of the Massachusetts General Hospital Diabetes Care clinic. A very nice man, also a patient, was telling me how he had effectively cut down from 12 Cokes per day, to 6. That’s a half a pound of sugar a day! Half a pound! Oh, perhaps I should mention that the primary sugar source in Coke is High Fructose Corn Syrup, which carries with it a 4 – 1 molar ratio over regular sucrose. So – basically – convert that ½ pound of sugar into the chemical equivalent of 2 pounds of table sugar.

That’s OK. Just avoid too much salt, take your Metformin religiously, and maybe you should consider a Statin to lower your LDL serum cholesterol.

I’m sorry if this post sounds angry, bitter, and perhaps even hateful. I apologize for any tone of judgmental meanness. I understand how frustrating and emotionally crippling this disease can be. I’ve been there. I remember the embarrassment, the isolation, and the frustration.

I remember the confusion. I remember how sick the Metformin made me feel. I remember the prognoses of dialysis, amputation and pre-mature death. I remember my endocrinologist, pronouncing sentence. “You will take this medicine for the rest of your life.”

Moreover, I remember when I decided to take back my life. When I decided to grab the reigns, and stop this merry-go-round. Eating a drug that makes you incontinent, nauseated, and dizzy, while trudging around a mall for 20 minutes, as your blood glucose peaks and dips, isn’t the answer.

Metabolic manipulation is. Re-teaching your body to work like the machine it was designed to be is. It’s hard, and it takes a long time. I’m not offering anybody a magic bullet. I’m not peddling a false panacea. I’m trying to tell you that you don’t have to be a Diabetic. Essentially, you’ll be trying to accomplish something that is generally considered impossible, so you can’t expect it to be easy. It takes massive sacrifice. It costs massive amounts of money. It requires massive amounts of time.

If you ask me, though – if you ask someone who can, again enjoy the life he was given, free of this overwhelming penance – it’s a great trade.
Check out the premier issue of my e-mag, Nµ30
 .
http://www.scribd.com/doc/49813702/N%C2%B530-Premier

No comments:

Post a Comment